Motorcycle Repair: Inspecting & Adjusting the Final Drive Belt on a 2008 Harley Davidson Road Glide

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Motorcycle Repair: Inspecting & Adjusting the Final Drive Belt on a 2008 Harley Davidson Road Glide Tube. Duration : 5.20 Mins.


**Always follow the instructions in your repair manual when doing repair or maintenance work on a motorcycle. Manuals can be found at the dealer and online.** This video is about inspecting and adjusting the final drive belt on a Harley Davidson Road Glide. I used a tool called a Belt Tension Gauge, and it is important to transfer the force required to compress the gauge to the drive belt. It might appear that I am not doing that in the video, but I am. I had to hold the tool the way I did to prevent it from falling over. Harley Davidson sells the Belt Tension Gauge or you can find an aftermarket version of the same thing online. I think 10 lbs is pretty standard for checking the deflection on belt final drives, but check your owners manual. The Belt Tension Gauge originally had support arms on the part that made contact with the belt, and it looked similar to a football goal post. I had to cut them off because the tool would not fit between the plastic shield that covers the final drive belt. Its ok if you cut them off, just make sure you center the gauge on the belt before applying pressure. Belts are my favorite type of final drive on a motorcycle because it lasts longer than a chain, is quieter than a chain, requires less maintenance than a chain and is more efficient than a drive shaft. Tools Used: - Belt Tension Gauge - I used a 36mm socket for a the rear axle nut. It worked, but I think it was a bit lose. I tried 1 1/4" and 1 1/2", but neither socket worked, and I ...

0 comments:

Post a Comment